Our Senior Video Editor/Cameraman job is primarily focused on the editing of raw or pre-recorded material (video, audio and graphics) into a finished product suitable for broadcast within news bulletins, news programs and other products.
- Collaborate with Reporters to develop stories
- Shoot and record television programs, adverts, documentaries, news and sporting events
- Check the sound requirements of product with sound effects editors.
- Conduct camera shoot/screenings for directors and members of production staffs.
- Review footage sequence by sequence to become familiar with it before assembling it into a final product.
- After the packaging of the news is completed a final entire news cast prior to on-air broadcast
- Organize raw film footage into a continuous whole
- Collaborate with a director to determine the overall vision of the production
- Discuss filming and editing techniques with a director to improve a scene
- Select the appropriate equipment, from the type of lens to the appropriate lighting
- Shoot or edit a scene based on the director’s vision
- Edit films and videotapes, add inserts and covers shots, arrange stories into sequences, and correct errors, using editing equipment.
- Review the final Select and combine the most effective shots of each scene to form a logical and smoothly running story.
- Organize and string together raw footage into a continuous whole according to scripts or the instructions of directors and producers.
- Set up and operate computer editing systems, electronic titling systems, video switching equipment, and digital video effects units to produce a final product.
- Confer with Editor in chief, client, technical directors concerning layout or editing approaches needed to increase dramatic effect or entertainment value of productions.
- Record needed sounds or obtains them from sound effects libraries.
- Cut shot sequences to different angles at specific points in scenes, making each individual cut as fluid and seamless as possible.
- Mark frames where a particular shot or piece of sound is to begin or end.
- Program computerized graphic effects.
- Editors can be deployed work at outside news related events and you will be responsible for editing and sending items back to the News Team for broadcast.
- CXC or higher education
- Graphics-Editing training
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience working as a video editor in a television news environment. Experience in long-form craft editing would also be useful
- Adobe Suite
- Adobe After Effects
- Final Cut Pro
- 3D software such as Maya or Blender;
- Fast, adaptable non-linear editing skills
- Effective communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Excellent sense of pace and timing
- Ability to visualize the written word and express it in pictures and sound to achieve the client, director or journalist’s vision
- Skill to edit creative or meaningful sequences from available footage.
- Having an eye for detail
- Having a high level of computer literacy
- Fluent English language skills – written and oral
- Must have a comprehensive operational knowledge of Photo shop editing software and hardware
- Knowledge of the general systems, practices and broadcast standards within a wider news/operational environment
- An understanding of voice-over recording and sound mixing
- An understanding of how to use and incorporate graphical elements
- A good knowledge of colour-correction and legalization techniques
- Knowledge of news and current affairs
- Creative editing
- Handling criticism
- Ability to work well with others or as an individual
- Being highly organized
- Foresight to recognize problems far before they happen
- Ability to remain calm and confident in high-stress situations
- A constant willingness to learn more and improve
- The flexibility to deal with unexpected problems and varied personality types
If you are an experienced Video Editor, who is excited about being part of a leading television station that will challenge your skill-set, please get in touch.
Contact: Carol Felix at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com