Friday, February 23, 2024
HomeArticlesPensioner’s home destroyed by fire after neighbour allegedly witnesses “sparks” from GPL...

Pensioner’s home destroyed by fire after neighbour allegedly witnesses “sparks” from GPL utility pole

A 65-year-old pensioner is now counting his losses after a fire of unknown origin completely destroyed the upper flat of his two (2)-storeyed wooden and concrete home late on Saturday night.

HGP Nightly News understands that the man, Tootaram, was not at his Betsy Ground, East Canje Berbice residence when the fire took place around 22:00h on Saturday.

According to a police statement, a neighbour told investigators that he was on his verandah when he noticed sparks coming from a Guyana Power and Light (GPL) utility pole in front of the now destroyed building.

“The neighbour claimed that shortly after he saw smoke coming from Tootaram’s home. As a consequence, he immediately alerted other neighbours who made contact with the Guyana Fire Service (GFS).  Firemen immediately responded and helped extinguished the blaze, however, the upper flat of the uninsured building was completely destroyed.”

Investigations are in progress.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments