MANNING CONSIDERING CONTESTING 2015 GENERAL ELECTIONS

0
476
  • Prepared to be the San Fernando constituency’s candidate

Patrick Manning, former leader of the main opposition People’s National Movement (PNM) and former Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, said on Monday he is considering contesting the 2015 general elections. Manning, 68, who led the party out of office following the 2010 general election, said he is prepared to contest the San Fernando east constituency, which he has represented in Parliament for the past 43 years.

He is the longest serving legislator, having served on two occasions as prime minister. Manning suffered a stroke in January 2011, leaving him partially paralyzed and absent from Parliament for two years. Since Manning’s return he has never spoken in any debate, does not attend party caucus or party meetings or conventions.

The PNM recently announced that it was seeking nominations for the San Fernando east seat and has given party supporters a December 1 deadline to nominate candidates. Manning had previously stated that he would be bowing out of politics after this parliamentary term was over. He reiterated his position as recent as last October, during the Local Government elections last year.

Extracted and modified from Caribbean 360

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.